Rainy Friday Musings
June 24, 2016
- Why don’t my kids yawn when I do or when I read the word “yawn”? When do yawns become contagious?
- I am so grateful for my kids’ safety awareness when they ride their balance bikes or scooters with me almost a mile round-trip to get our CSA veggies. They know to go slow on hills, especially hills that lead to busy streets; they know to stop at the corner, and I know they will never bolt into traffic. They might not be good listeners all the time, but they are when it counts.
- Why is it so hard to be motivated to exercise? I like being active. I like running and yoga. It used to be guilt at time away from my kids. It used to be choosing to accomplish other things on the to-do list. Recently it just feels like my resistance can be summed up as: “Meh.” But some of my hiking and outdoor pants no longer fit, so I need to figure out a way to overcome the Meh.
- I am also so grateful for our neighbors, who welcome our kids into their yards and homes, who accept being emergency authorized pick-up people for school, and who genuinely love and care for our whole family.
- Our kids got bikes with pedals for their birthday, and have been practicing riding bikes the past few weeks. I think they will learn well before I did. (I finally got it when I was 9 or 10. I refused to let my dad help me, because I knew from other examples how that was going to work: he’d promise not to let go, but then he would–as parents teaching their kids bike riding do–and I was terrified of that uncertainty. I’d rather teach myself than trust someone else. Oh, little Michelle…how much more you had to learn than riding a bike.)
- My kids LOVE helping me cook, which is such a blessing. Except when I’m trying to make something quickly, in which case it is not a blessing. Cooking with three five-year-old helpers slows the process substantially. But I do love that they see helping in the kitchen as fun and exciting. I hope it leads to their love of food and love of making their own.
- In picking up size 5T pajamas, I realized that I will soon be shopping for them in the Kid section rather than the Toddler section. Had a little heart-squeeze.